Have you ever noticed that your ears get red or sensitive after wearing certain earrings? Or do you have a daughter that’s experiencing irritation after you put earrings on her? If that’s the case, it may actually be an allergy to a specific material used in those earrings! If this is a recurring problem for you, the good news is that there is a way to get to the source of the issue, and you don’t need to have irritated ears every time you or your child decide to put on a pair of earrings!
Read on below to learn about the types of earrings that may cause this issue, good earrings for sensitive ears, and even the best little girl earrings for sensitive ears. There are some specific earring materials for sensitive ears to know about, and it’s just a matter of making sure you buy the right kinds of earrings moving forward.
What is an Earrings Allergy?
You may be wondering why your ears get red or irritated in the first place, and the answer is quite simple. If you don’t have an infection from a recent piercing but your ears are still getting red or swollen, it’s an allergic reaction to earrings, specifically to the earring posts. Most commonly, it’s a nickel allergy that people who experience these symptoms are dealing with, and switching to hypoallergenic earrings can solve the problem very quickly.
So which are the best types of metal posts for your sensitive ears? Let’s find out.
Top 4 Metals for Sensitive Ears: How to Choose the Best Earrings for You
The first thing you need to do is to avoid earrings that have nickel in the posts. But don’t just assume that earrings labeled “hypoallergenic” will automatically work for you. Although they’re less likely to cause an allergic reaction, there’s no standard or regulation in the jewelry industry for the definition of the term “hypoallergenic,” so it can really mean a few different things.
So let’s look at the best earring material for sensitive ears, and then we’ll assess which may be the best for you.
Is Sterling Silver Good for Sensitive Ears?
When assessing whether sterling silver is good for sensitive ears, the answer is somewhat complicated. Silver, in and of itself, is hypoallergenic, and will not cause any adverse reactions to the skin. However, silver is too soft of a metal to be made into pure jewelry, so even the highest quality silver, known as sterling silver, has copper mixed in with it. Copper, along with nickel, can also create issues for people with sensitive ears. However, sterling silver is only about 7.5% copper, it shouldn’t be a major issue for most people. The only caveat here is that if you are extremely sensitive to copper - and you would know if wearing sterling silver earrings irritate you - then sterling silver earrings won’t be a good choice.
So here’s a breakdown of the information on sterling silver:
- Silver itself isn’t an irritant.
- Sterling silver contains 7.5% copper.
- Copper at a level this low will not irritate most but may be problematic for extremely sensitive ears.
- Sterling silver can be a good choice for some with sensitive ears, but not all.
Are Titanium Earrings Good for Sensitive Ears?
What about titanium earrings, are they good earrings for sensitive ears? While you may not have tried titanium earrings before, they are an excellent choice for those with sensitive ears, and they happen to be extremely lightweight and durable. Here are the reasons why titanium may be a great choice for your sensitive ears:
- Only 4% of the population is allergic to titanium.
- Comfortable to wear, strong, and light on the ear.
- Titanium is used in a wide range of medical implants throughout the body, so you know it’s safe.
- Make sure you opt for medical-grade titanium earrings.
- Titanium is a nice-looking affordable earring option.
Is Stainless Steel Good for Sensitive Ears?
If you’re looking for another highly affordable option, stainless steel is a great metal for sensitive ears. Here are some reasons why:
- Like titanium, surgical stainless steel (SSS) is often chosen for medical implants and surgeries.
- When choosing stainless steel earrings, make sure you opt for 316L and 316LVM grades, which are considered the best alloys for sensitive ears.
Are Platinum Earrings Good for Sensitive Ears?
Platinum earrings are usually much harder to find, and also more expensive, but they can be a great option for sensitive ears as well. Here are some of the benefits of platinum earrings:
- Platinum earrings are durable and resistant to corrosion, making them a great choice for everyday wear.
- For most people, platinum is not a realistic option because of its price.
Bonus: Earring Coating for Sensitive Ears
So what happens if there’s a pair of earrings you especially love, but it turns out you’re sensitive to them? Not to worry, you don’t have to throw those earrings out - or sell them - because there is a workaround. In fact, it’s quite simple, you also likely have the requisite materials in your home. Here’s how you can do it:
- Try a vaseline coating for sensitive ears. For most people, vaseline works really well. Simply apply some petroleum jelly on parts of your jewelry that come into contact with your skin. This will provide a protective barrier between your skin and the irritating metal. The only downside is that you’ll have to reapply every two hours to keep the vaseline effective.
- Use nail polish remover on earrings for sensitive ears. Just like vaseline, nail polish remover provides an excellent protective coating between the metal and your earlobes. The additional benefit here is that you’ll only need to reapply every week or so, so this may be a better option than vaseline if you’re wearing your favorite earrings constantly.
- Buy a professional jewelry sealant. If you’d like, you can also easily find sealants made specifically for jewelry, which also work in a similar way to nail polish remover.
So now that you know the best type of earrings for sensitive ears and other earring metals for sensitive ears, do you feel relieved? Your days of wondering why your earlobes get hot, red, and itchy are over! But first, you have to make sure you’ve got the right earrings. For the best selection of hypoallergenic earrings, check out our SAISO online shop!